Review: Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (Study #1)

1192363Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (Study #1)

Genre: YA Paranormal
Released: March 1st, 2007
Publisher: Mira
Pages: 412
My Rating: 5 Stars

Synopsis:

Yelena has a choice – be executed for murder, or become food taster to the Commander of Ixia. She leaps at the chance for survival, but her relief may be short-lived.Life in the palace is full of hazards and secrets. Wily and smart, Yelena must learn to identify poisons before they kill her, recognise whom she can trust and how to spy on those she can’t. And who is the mysterious Southern sorceress who can reach into her head?

When Yelena realises she has extraordinary powers of her own, she faces a whole new problem, for using magic in Ixia is punishable by death.


What I Liked:

Firtly, this book has been on my to-read list for good 5 years now. I know, I know! You can totally tell me that I have been living under a rock. It wasn't until I've read the Taste of Darkness by Maria V. Snyder (which is the last book in the Healer series) that I've gotten on a serious Maria V. Snyder band vagon. I think, I might have a slight obsession with her books going on at the moment. Honestly, If I am not studying I am reading her books.

Anyway, let me just say, this book has blown my mind! I don't know what it is (well I sort of do) but I love the story line so much. The characters are brilliant, and I woudln't change a thing. There are so many breath catching moments that send shivers down your spine, but there are also those tender moments when you just wish you had someone to cuddle with as well (lucky you, if you have that special someone).

The book starts of very dynamically, jam packed with action straight away. To be honest, I really have't read many books that have started off the same way. Luckily, Yelenna doesn't die at the very beginning of the book, even though the 'justice is blind' in her case. She's very well rounded character, with a mystery aura around her, so it's quite fascinating to watch her character unravel more and more in each chapter. And of course, the lovely commander Valek is the one to watch out for in this book as well. If you've read enough YA books, you could definitelly tell straight away that there is going to be some sort of a relationship between Yelenna and Valek. 

I loved all the other characters as well, i think they created a nice balance in the story. The flow of the book was really good as well. 

What I didn't Like:

My mind is so blank when it comes to negatives of this story. To be fair, everyone has their own opinion on individual books, and some people will love it and some people won't. I personally wouldn't chage anything, because then it wouldn't be the same anymore. However, I am quite sure that even Maria herself has something she would like to change about the storyline or the book itself. 

I am not usually like this, in fact i don't think i've ver written a review with no ''didn't like'' points, but hey, there's first time for everything as they say.

Overall Thought:

I'm currently reading th third book in this series, and I am still loving it! Trully, I don't know how Maria does it, but it gets better and better every time I read something from her. And also, she's the reason why I stay up until ridiculously late at night reading books, because I just can't let go and put it down.

Ah-mazing read! I would definitely recommend this to anyone who wants a good, fast paced, dramatic and romantic read. So, if my raving haven't influenced you to go read this bok by now, i don't know what will. 






2 comments

  1. Yay! I love this series and can't wait for the new book to be out. I am so happy you are trying this series and loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I haven't heard of this series but you are really loving it, so I think I'll check it out! Nice review, Maria :)

    ReplyDelete