Review: Hidden by Marianne Curley


Hidden (Avena, #1)
Hidden by Marianne Curley (Avena #1)

Genre: YA Paranormal
Released: June 25th, 2013
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Childrens
Pages: 325
My Rating: 3 Stars

Synopsis:

For as long as Ebony can remember, she's been sheltered. Confined to her home in a secluded valley, home-schooled by her protective parents, and limited to a small circle of close friends. It's as if she's being hidden. But something is changing in Ebony. Something that can't be concealed. She's growing more beautiful by the day, she's freakishly strong, and then there's the fact that she's glowing

On one fateful night, Ebony meets Jordan and she's intensely drawn to him. It's as if something explodes inside of her--something that can be seen from the heavens. Ebony still doesn't know that she's a stolen angel, but now that the heavens have found her, they want her back.


What I Liked:

I bought this book in a little charity shop, thinking that it could possibly be a good read. However, I didn't realize how great it is until I began reading it. I found this book unbelievable catching, and I have definitely struggled to put it down. Now, I'm not huge fan of angel stories, but this book was a positive surprise. 

I really liked Jordan's character. I think Jordan's personality really came through in the book, and so did his charm. He is very easy to warm up to, and I would definitely prefer him to be with Ebony. I found, that Ebony is your typical, super powerful, not in control, but "must save the world" character. However, that doesn't have to be necessarily a bad thing. 

I'm definitely a fan of the "heart-attack" moments in this book, and it definitely helps the book flow more smoothly. I was very excited with the whole plot of the book at the beginning, however it was a bit of let down near the end. 

What I didn't Like:

Why, oh why has this book turned out from super exciting to quite boring towards the end? I have really enjoyed the beginning, as I said earlier, however when the whole "love triangle" between Jordan, Thane and Ebony started, it just went downhill. Ebony and Jordan had this romantic "thing" going on at the beginning of the book. Their relationship looked so promising and exciting, but then Thane came and it was all over. Ebony and Thane shared this insta-love right away, which I'm not such a fan of. Also, I didn't really like Ebony's behaviour towards Jordan after Thane appeared.

Overall Thought:

This was first book from Marianne Curley that I have ever read, however I recently bought The Named, so I'm hoping that The Named will uplift my feelings towards this author, and make me fall in love with the book. However, back to The Hidden, I felt like Marianne took this quite intricate plot from the beginning, and then decided to mix it with this classic Young adult style of writing, and that just didn't work for me. Now, I know this may sound silly, but you know how sometimes with a characters you feel like it could happen in the real worls, and it just leaves you wondering "what if...", but this one didn't do it for me at all. Which is quite disappointing. Nevertheless, I have still enjoyed the book, and even the same old insta-love love triangle. I don't know if I will read many angel books, but hopefully one day I'll find one that really catches my attention, and leave me wondering that maybe, just maybe it could possible be real :) 


2 comments

  1. I have a love hate relationship with angel books as well. Too bad this one slowed way down towards to end, makes you wonder what the next book will be like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's exactly my problem. Yeah, the book did end in a little bit of cliff hanger, but I'm really not sure if I would read the second book in the series just to find out what the outcome is. I really did have a mixed feelings about this book.

      Delete